Dental Exam & Cleaning in Yorba Linda
At Knoll Family Dentistry, we want you to learn all about your teeth, keeping them healthy, and your options when you need treatment. As our patients in Yorba Linda, CA become increasingly health conscious, we take it as our responsibility to ensure that you understand your dental health and how it affects your general health.
As such, we recommend that you visit our office twice a year as part of preventive dental care plan. Routine dental visits should be combined with proper at-home oral hygiene practices to effectively prevent tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, tooth loss, and other dental and oral diseases and conditions.
What routine dental checkups entail
During your routine dental visits, teeth cleaning is usually combined with an oral check up for an appointment that between 30 and 60 minutes depending on the condition of your teeth.
Here’s what to expect during your appointment:
The dentist will perform an oral examination to gather information about your oral health. Your
exam will be determined by the length of time since your last appointment, and whether you are returning to have a specific dental condition checked.
The dentist will:
- Examine your mouth to check around your teeth and gums for plaque and tartar, stains, chips and cracks, signs of gum inflammation, and other oral concerns.
- Review your x-rays to determine the underlying condition of your teeth
- Check the condition of any existing restorations
- Determine the need for fillings, crowns, or other treatments
- Perform oral cancer screening by checking your neck and oral tissues for lumps, masses, growths, red or white patches or recurring sore areas.
Professional dental cleaning can dramatically improve your oral health. Although regular brushing and flossing at home helps to remove food particles and reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth, there are some areas that are difficult to clean, and some kinds of dirt that can only be removed using professional tools in the dentist’s office, like tartar (hardened plaque).
Teeth cleaning involves:
- Plaque and tartar removal - the dentist uses a scalar to remove plaque and tartar on the surface of your teeth, focusing on the areas between the teeth and near the gum line where bacteria congregates
- Gritty toothpaste cleaning - the dentist then uses a high-powered electric brush and gritty toothpaste to gently scrub and polish your teeth.
- Expert flossing - the dentist reaches deep between your teeth and clean potential trouble areas that you rarely reach when flossing at home.
- Rinsing - the dentist uses a liquid fluoride rinse to remove any debris from your mouth.
Schedule your appointment today
Professional dental cleaning is a vital component of maintaining your oral health. Even if the dental checkup reveals that you have other problems, teeth cleaning will be the first step to restoring your oral health. If you have any concerns about your mouth or feel anxious about the teeth cleaning procedure, please contact Knoll Family Dentistry in Yorba Linda, CA.