Dental Fillings in Yorba Linda
If you have a broken tooth or cavities resulting from dental decay that has broken down your tooth enamel, our dentist at Knoll Family Dentistry may recommend that you get tooth fillings to restore the health of your tooth.
Dental fillings in Yorba Linda, CA can be used to reconstruct various dental problems, including:
- Severely worn teeth or eroded enamel surfaces due to grinding, nail biting, etc.
- Visible chips and cracks
- Visible holes or dark stains on the teeth
- Toothache or sensitivity to cold and hot food items
The process of getting a tooth filling
Dental fillings are typically placed in a single appointment. Here are the basic steps:
- The tooth is numbed to prevent any pain
- Site preparation, which involves removing decay or an old or damaged filling
- Thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the area using special medication to protect the tooth
- Resin material that closely matches your teeth color is selected and precisely placed, molded, and polished on the site. This is necessary to restore the decayed or injured tooth to its original shape, size, and appearance
The repair is fairly long-lasting with proper dental hygiene and habits.
Cavities are preventable
While some cases of tooth injury are accidental, like breakage from trauma in an accident, most types of dental injuries and cavities are preventable with proper oral habits. If you can protect your teeth during sports and prevent decay from starting, then you won’t need fillings.
Other things you can do:
- Brushing and flossing your teeth every day.
- Eating a healthy diet
- Reducing the intake of sugary, hard, and sticky items
- Getting dental sealants for children
- Wearing a mouthguard when participating in sports
- Managing nail-biting, tooth grinding, or ice crushing with your teeth
- Using fluoride toothpaste as directed by the dentist to strengthen tooth enamel
In addition, it’s important to visit the dentist at least once a year for a professional teeth cleaning and check-up. Even if you have cavities, the dentist will detect it in the early stages and recommend an appropriate treatment to keep it from advancing so you won’t necessarily need tooth fillings.
Please contact Knoll Family Dentistry in Yorba Linda, CA to learn more about tooth-colored fillings and other dental restorative options that can work for you.